Pregnancy is a special time, and keeping good physical health is an essential part of enjoying and thriving, both during and beyond this period. Becoming pregnant and entering into motherhood places huge demands on the mother’s physical body, especially around the pelvis. It is essential that the body maintains good posture and adequate muscular support (including the pelvic floor) throughout pregnancy and into motherhood.
AJ PHYSIO specialises in managing problems that may arise in the pre and post natal period. We also have expertise in optimising labour, through the use of TENS, perineum massage and advice of positioning.
We highly recommend a PHYSIOTHERAPY POST NATAL ASSESSMENT 4-6 weeks following the delivery of your baby. Please click here for more information.
We provide the following services (see http://www.ajphysio.com.au/Physio_for_Pregnancy.pdf for more information):
- PELVIC FLOOR PROGRAMS: it is essential you are doing your pelvic floor exercises correctly and adequately to achieve good results. The pelvic floor muscles have a major role in continence, stability and sexual function. The pelvic floor is weakened throughout pregnancy due to the prolonged stretch and load placed on it. You are 56% less likely to have incontinence if you do pelvic floor exercises, and if you already have incontinence, pelvic floor exercises have been proven to be very effective in resolving this. We provide correct, individualised programs that will achieve the results you need.
- PRE & POST NATAL EXERCISE: we provide exercise classes Clinical Pilates and home programs to accommodate for individual needs. They are all great choices to maintain strength and stability for the whole body, including the pelvis during the pre and post natal period. The exercises are carefully prescribed from specially trained physiotherapists who understand the needs of the body in the pre and post natal period, including rehabilitation following a caesarean section (very important to rehabilitate properly!).
- TREATMENT: we have expertise in managing the injuries/pain that can arise during the pregnancy period. In particular, conditions treated include: pelvic/SIJ pain, low back pain, rib and thoracic pain, neck pain and headaches, wrist and hand pain (including carpel tunnel). Treatment may include deep tissue release, dry needling (acupuncture), muscle energy techniques, joint mobilisations, taping etc. All treatments are safe and effective for the pregnant body.
- DIASTASIS MANAGEMENT: we provide management, including abdominal binding and exercise prescription, to assist the recovery of abdominal diastases. Early intervention is the key to great results!
- PREPARATION FOR LABOUR: we provide perineum/pelvic floor massage, TENS hire and advice on positions through labour to assist in optimal deliveries.
- POST NATAL: management of episiotomy or perineum pain, rectal pain, bladder and bowel dysfunction (including urgency and incontinence) and prolapse management.
We look forward to helping you maintain and improve your health and fitness throughout your pre and post natal journey! Please contact reception for more information or to make a booking.